Youtube
Twitter
Facebook

Diocese of

Hexham and Newcastle

Bishop Séamus Cunningham

Religious in our Diocese


Sisters of Mercy, Alnwick

contact details

Address and Telephone:

St Mary’s Convent of Mercy, 12 Bailiffgate,Alnwick,Northumberland NE66 1LU
Tel: (01665) 602148

foundation and history

logo

On October 13th 1890, Mother Evangelist Costello, Sisters Gertrude Morley, Baptist Caffrey, Veronica Trenchard and Magdalen Mason arrived in Alnwick from Cordier Hill, Guernsey. 

They were invited by the parish priest, Fr. Robert, to take charge of the school, visit the sick and instruct converts. 

The community of Alnwick has faithfully carried out these apostolates since 1890.  They joined the Institute of Our Lady of Mercy in 1983.

Work of the Order in this diocese

Alnwick Convent
Sisters of Mercy Convent in Alnwick

The convent began to expand rapidly, and in 1897 the chapel, refectory and bedrooms were added. In 1913 a new extension was built to accommodate the fee-paying school, opened in 1893.

In 1962 the new High School was opened on the south road for day girls and boarders.  Sisters also taught in the State Schools. 

The sisters were truly inspired with our Mercy charism, and today, although they are no longer in the school, they continue their apostolate by visiting the sick and housebound, and bring them Holy Communion; they give a listening ear and heart when they meet people, and when they visit the convent.

Links



All Religious Houses in Diocese